Monday, September 6, 2010

DIY distressing of my baker's rack... turning into a disaster!

I got this baker's rack from my sister-in-law about 5 years ago when we moved into our new house here in Oregon City.  I have been trying to figure out what to do with it for that long.  I finally came up with a winning idea and went out to Wal-Mart and home depot to get supplies.  I found some ideas on my fellow blog sites on house to paint and distress wood furniture.  I decided that I wanted the base color to be a antique blue with the under coat of white, and hope it turns out. 

I kick myself for not taking a true before picture but the piece is rod iron with two wood shelves on top and the bottom has a shelf with two drawers.  It was painted green apple before so I had to primer it and sand it down.  I applied a good coat of white all over and let that dry completely then moved on to the blue color.  I chose to go with spray paint because it goes on fast and dries fast. 
I have all the coats on now, need to run and get one more can of blue paint to finish coating all the pieces with blue.  then I will start sanding and distressing.  More to come tomorrow... or at least when I get a little closer to being finished.
So as usual when I do a home project I get to the point where I just cannot wait any longer and have to try to rush things.  That is what I did this morning. 
I put the finishing coat of blue paint on my shelves, I wanted to try to distress the drawers fronts a little just to see how or if the white was actually going to show through. 
















Of course the green that I had tried to cover up shows through, but I actually kind of like the look, so instead of completely starting over I try to darken the green a little by using some dark wood stain, kind of antiqueing the whole project..







here are some shots of that .... not sure if I am going to stay with it or not.




It is starting to look pretty good.  I decided the green did not look that bad and went with the new look! 
This is the finished look in the house!  Not BAD huh? 
Daisy kept thinking that she needed to help me move this thing, HA-HA not so helpful girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...