Thursday, May 20, 2010

Running?


In highschool the only running I did was when they made us do laps or lines in Volleyball or PE, otherwise NO way. I did not play volleyball very long for I just could not take it, I hated running.

In college, at WSU a girlfriend talked me into running in the annual Bloomsday Run, in Spokane. It is a 12k run. I will not be persuaded to run that far ever again. We trained every week, but the farthest that I ran was 4 miles. Needless to say on race day when I had to run 7.5 miles it was painful. To this day do not understand the thrill that comes from running. It hurts. Somehow though I keep going back to doing it.

I moved to Oregon and found I love hiking! The great outdoors, it is beautiful here! I cannot believe how close it can be to heaven. There is the Mt Hood near by on one side and then the Pacific Ocean on the other... with Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Mt Bachelor, the possibilities are endless and Oh lets not forget the Columbia River Gorge! Hikers paradise! For a few years kiking every single weekend was for me! I could not get enough of it.

Now that I have my two kids my hiking has slowed down some, I am working Ashlee up to though, she can easliy do 2 miles so far. Now it is time to work Sawyer into the mix.

In the meantime a girl friend here has talked me into doing some of that dreadful running. I guess it is not that bad, I do like the feeling I get of accomplishment once we are done. For some reason I feel the need to compete, so we sign up for the local runs around the area, Race for the Cure, The Shamrock Run, Jingle Bell Run, Run Girlfriend Run, Making Strides against breast cancer and I am sure more to follow. So far my pace has not been really fast but I do remember it is better than that first race in Spokane, I remember telling myself it must be faster than an hour and a half, I made it to the finish in an hour twenty nine! haha! My pace is still only about 10 minute miles but who cares I am doing it.

Running helped me drop alot of my baby weight, still got more to go but thanks to the running it will come off too, sooner or later! So here's to all those who say running is that bad! It is not, it can be theraputic! and keep you healthy! Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...