Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer flowers


I love summer and all the beauty that comes with it. Some of my favorite flowers bloom in the summer and just looking at them brings back so many memories of why I love them so.

For example the roses, my grandmother loved roses, she had them all over her front yard. I remember vividly when they bloomed each summer on our week visit to her house. We would help her in her yard, pruning flowers and trees and then for fun play slip and slide down the little slope in the back! The smell of fresh roses always makes me think of her.




Lilies and daisy flowers are so unique... so many colors and varieties big and small.  My best friend had Lily boquets in her wedding and oh they were so gorgeous... and smelled so good.  Every time I smell that fragrance it makes me think of that morning wedding and holding those boquets.




Iris make me think of my mother,  she loves iris and the color purple.  I remember her planting them at the house we had in Genesee, ID and at Lenore, ID.  Teddy bear iris are my favorite.  I even got her to paint me some oil paintings of iris, her own style and Monet's iris!  I love them both!
She was telling me how the pull the bulbs apart and keep only the new growth for the old will never bloom again and how Grandpa Phillips used to always get so mad for he would dig up his bulbs break off the new and toss it over the fence.  The other side of the fence would be filled with blooms and he would have none.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...