Sunday, June 27, 2010

Angel's Rest Hike in Columbia River Gorge!

  Auuhhh the smell of the trees and fresh air in the morning as you are getting out of the car and heading to the trailhead.  The parking lot is already full and we had to find a spot alongside the road.  The first few feet up the trail makes me remember how much I enjoy being outdoors.  The sounds of birds and the quiet of the trees all around.  This is one of the most gorgeous hikes I have been on in the Columbia Gorge.  It is just outside of Troutdale about 12 miles and the hike itself is a length of 2.4 miles one way,  anyone can do at their own pace.
I have done this hike once before but today was a great day for a hike and wow this one really delivers on the diverse scenes and tons of people traffic.  The 2.4 mile distance up is just as hard as the 2.4 miles down, the elevation change and rocky trail make for slow going but just think of all the gossip and chatting you can get caught up on.   Great for girlfriend time!
We are talking of trips that have been had and trips that we are planning to do.  Where we want to go and see this summer.  Even of people we want to think of and visit. 
Another great thing about hiking especially on this trail is the other people and catching the tid bits of their conversations as we go by.  Even being able to see all the dogs and their owners that visit this trail.  All types and breeds.  "guitar cases and surf board fell on the trail", a boston terrier yips at me on the way by.... oh the joys of hiking.

These flowers were at the top of the trail and I am so intrigued by them, they were like some kind of tiger lily but the pedals curled up... GORGEOUS!!  I may have to enter this picture!  It is interesting!! I love searching the trails for the different types of flowers and plants, it is even more exciting if I actually know what the plant or flowers is named.  There are lots of beautiful daisys and buttercups.  But this lily was devine..


A view from the top!  Look at the Columbia River below!! wow!  I do not know about you but I am nervous of heights and let me tell you sitting on these rocks at the top really get my blood going.   I cannot turn it down though for the sights are too great to miss.  See that couple up ahead of Kali?  Yes I will be on that rock next... I want to see how it all looks from there too.  We came this far, why the hell not?!

This is a steady climbing trail, always going up and up or down and down.  I have to keep my eye on the trail most of the way up for it is quite rocky and uneven,  my feet are feeling quite clumbsy today.  On the way down I start to feel a little dizzy or light headed, maybe I have been staring at my feet too much, uh oh I feel my leg give a little, DOWN I am on the ground.  Darn it my camera hit the rocks.. good thing the screen side did not hit, just a little scratch here and there and uh oh I have a bruise on my leg already from the fall.  Good thing only Kali saw me go down.  All I can do is laugh about it now, I feel like an OX that is NOT sure footed.  Oh yes, I know I am almost home with the welcome bridge left to cross.  The weather was great, the company was wonderful and I cannot wait to go again soon!!  Even if I did fall a little. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...